Pacific Gas and Electric Company, incorporated in California in 1905, is one of the largest combined natural gas and electric energy companies in the United States. Based in San Francisco, the company is a subsidiary of PG&E Corporation
There are approximately 20,000 employees who carry out Pacific Gas and Electric Company's primary business—the transmission and delivery of energy. The company provides natural gas
and electric service
to approximately 16 million people throughout a 70,000-square-mile service area in northern and central California.
Pacific Gas and Electric Company and other energy companies in the state are regulated by the California Public Utilities Commission
. The CPUC was created by the state Legislature in 1911.
- Service area stretches from Eureka in the north to Bakersfield in the south, and from the Pacific Ocean in the west to the Sierra Nevada in the east.
- 106,681 circuit miles of electric distribution lines and 18,466 circuit miles of interconnected transmission lines.
- 42,141 miles of natural gas distribution pipelines and 6,438 miles of transmission pipelines.
- 5.4 million electric customer accounts.
- 4.3 million natural gas customer accounts.