Hours: 12 - 20 hours per week
Internship Period: 1 semester
Hourly Wage: $20.00 - $22.00 per hour
Mentor/Supervisor: Director of Digital Systems and Sr. Director of Marketing, Engagement, and Communications
University Research Co., LLC (URC)
Guided by a strong vision of equitable and resilient systems that respond to people's needs and emerging threats, URC helps countries and local actors to build, implement, and sustain science-driven, scalable solutions. Established in 1965, URC offers a range of technical expertise to empower governments, communities, and service providers toward strengthening their own health and social systems and improve service quality. We aim to expand access to and improve the quality of services, addressing maternal, newborn, child, and adolescent health; global health security and infectious diseases, including HIV/AIDS, TB, and malaria; reproductive health and family planning; nutrition and water, sanitation, and hygiene. In our interactions with each other and our clients, we stay true to our values for transformative change by focusing on:
- Creativity: by unleashing our creativity, we enhance engagement and interaction to improve problem-solving.
- Collaboration: not only our work towards the same vision and mission instill staff with a strong sense of purpose, but also enables us to complement each other's skills and allocate work to maximize everyone's strengths.
- Accountability: we hold ourselves responsible for accomplishing goals, completing assignments, and making decisions.
- Diversity, equity, and inclusion: we embrace the importance of a diverse, equitable, and inclusive environment, where our leadership and staff model behavior that enriches our organization, demonstrates respect for all people, and supports opportunities for all staff.
- Transparency: we understand that when employees deeply trust one another and their leaders, they will be more engaged in their roles because they will not be worried about unfair treatment.
Interns at URC
The internship program at URC is designed to develop highly motivated learners and diverse emerging talent. Internship opportunities are available with multiple teams at URC. This is an exciting and unique opportunity to work with URC colleagues and benefit from an engaging learning environment.
This is a paid internship opportunity. The intern may work from the Chevy Chase, MD office or remotely.
Learning Objectives and Outcomes:
- Gain knowledge about the international development industry
- Gain practical experience in a professional workplace
- Build a network of professional connections
- Develop professional communication, marketing and public relations skills
Anticipated Duration: 1 semester
Marketing, Engagement, and Communications Intern Responsibilities:
- Assist in developing engaging content for various platforms, including social media, newsletters, and the company website, aligning with the organization's mission and values
- Aid in the planning and execution of marketing campaigns to raise awareness about global health development initiatives, ensuring consistency in messaging across different channels
- Help manage social media accounts by creating posts and monitoring engagement
- Support the coordination of virtual or physical events, such as webinars, or conferences by assisting with logistics, promotional materials, and post-event analysis
- Collaborate with internal teams, to ensure alignment in messaging and communication strategies
- Assist in writing communication materials, such as news stories, social media posts, reports, and promotional materials, to maintain a consistent and professional voice
- Assist in monitoring and analyzing the performance of marketing efforts
- Support the maintenance and reinforcement of the company's brand identity by ensuring all communications adhere to brand guidelines and reflect the organization's values and objectives
- Pursuing a degree in marketing, communications, or a related field
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to generate creative ideas and assist in content creation across various mediums, such as writing.
- Experience with graphic design or multimedia production is desired but not required
- Strong collaborative skills and the ability to work effectively in a team-oriented environment, supporting cross-functional projects and initiatives
- Strong attention to detail in writing and proofreading to ensure accuracy and consistency in all communications
- Willingness to adapt to changing priorities and take initiative in learning new skills
- Strong organizational and time management skills to handle multiple tasks simultaneously and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment
- An interest in global health issues, social impact, and a passion for contributing to positive change
- This assignment involves prolonged periods of sitting at a desk and working on a computer
- This position operates in a professional office environment and routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets, etc.
- This position may require vision, hearing, talking, standing, sitting, walking, lifting
This position is open to qualified candidates legally authorized to work in the United States. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
URC is an E-Verify Employer. URC is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. We value and seek diversity in our workforce.