Research Associate - Demetrios Vavvas Lab
Full Time, 40 hours per week with benefits and 50% off the MBTA pass
A laboratory at Mass Eye and Ear/Harvard Medical School is seeking a highly-motivated research associate to join our research group. We seek to better understand the mechanisms behind the development of age-related macular degeneration (AMD). We have been using a combination of molecular, cellular, and biochemistry techniques in transgenic mouse models to uncover pathways that may serve as new therapeutic avenues for this disease. Our lab is located in a stimulating environment for vision research, with opportunities to interact with clinician-scientists and basic scientists working on many aspects of retina and eye research.
1. Under the general direction and with considerable latitude for independent judgment, carries out various research activities in support of projects of varying magnitude and complexity.
2. Discusses the assignment with the principal investigator.
3. Draws upon professional level preparation in one or more scientific disciplines to define the problem, develop the study plan, select subjects, and gather the equipment and materials required
4. May be given considerable freedom with respect to the design and timing of experiments
5. May independently devise methods, procedures and techniques within the overall plan.
6. Establishes a control database, where appropriate, against which experimental data can be analyzed.
7. Carries out or directs the procedural steps in the study.
8. May operate a wide variety of laboratory equipment during the execution of research procedures
9. Monitors all phases of the experiment in order to assess whether or not the experiment is running smoothly
10. May determine that procedures in use should be discontinued or revised and takes steps to find an alternative approach following consultation with principal investigator.
11. May also find it necessary to modify existing equipment in order to refine, measure or record particular results.
12. Analyzes data collected during the experiment, synthesizes and evaluates it, draws whatever conclusions may be inferred from it and reports on his/her findings to the principal investigator.
13. Prepares a formal, final written report for the inclusion in the overall report on the total research participation as investigation co-author.
14. Supervises activities of support personnel as assigned.
15. May teach research and laboratory operational procedures to student and support personnel as required.
Massachusetts Eye and Ear is an international center for treatment and home to the world's largest vision and hearing research centers. Mass. Eye and Ear is a member of Mass General Brigham and a teaching hospital of Harvard Medical School.
Mass. Eye and Ear clinicians are driven by a mission to find cures for blindness, deafness and diseases of the head and neck. Internationally acclaimed since its founding in 1824, Mass. Eye and Ear employs full-time, board-certified physicians who offer high quality and affordable specialty care that ranges from the routine to the very complex. Learn more about our Mission, Vision and Values and Diversity, Equity and Inclusion on our site.
Providing a safe environment for everyone is the core tenet of our Safe Care Commitment. Across Mass General Brigham, employees are doing their part to ensure that the hospitals, clinics, practices and office spaces across our system are safe and ready.
Mass. Eye and Ear physicians are located at our main campus in Boston, and at our suburban locations in the greater Boston and Providence areas, across 21 locations.