Shift: 1st shift
The Safety Intern is responsible for supporting EHS teams in environmental, health and safety compliance and training and program management for Southwire facilities. Provides regulatory support to the EHS team to ensure regulatory requirements applicable to the facility are known. Supports safety plans and implementations of environmental, health and safety activities at facilities and assists in monitoring all facility activities to ensure that regulatory and company requirements are met.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assists EHS team and plant management staff and appropriate operational personnel are aware of current and pending regulatory requirements permit conditions and other restrictions imposed by federal, state and local authorities.
- Assist in creating processes that identify, evaluate, and control hazards in the workplace.
- Provide support and track training to comply with applicable OSHA requirements.
- Implement and maintain required OSHA compliance programs/processes.
- Provide industrial hygiene support as needed to evaluate employee noise and other health exposures.
- Assist in the development and implementation of new health & safety programs.
- Assists in all mandatory air, water and waste compliance assurance-monitoring activities at the facility, including DOT. Establish and maintain appropriate chemical inventory record systems to satisfy regulatory tracking requirements.
- Champion and direct Growing Green efforts at the facility.
- Provide leadership and support for the implementation and sustainability of the BBS process.
- Serve as Emergency Response Coordinator for the facility, assisting with the coordination of emergency services and contractors.
- Champion implementation of OSHA Voluntary Protection Program (VPP).
- Assist in the development and coordination of safety measures for internal school facility.
- Pursuing a bachelor's degree in Safety Management or other program applicable to the health, safety and environmental fields are required.
- Must be enrolled in a college or university program
- Rising junior or senior
- Minimum 2.5 GPA
- Must have excellent verbal and written skills along with exceptional interpersonal skills.