The Clinical Pharmacist I position is Full Time, M-F at our Longwood campus. We offer 50% off the MBTA pass.
Under the direction of the Director of Pharmacy or designee performs all duties necessary to provide for the effective daily operation of the Mass Eye and Ear Longwood Pharmacy Department. Adheres to state and federal laws and regulations which govern the practice of pharmacy. Responsible for verification, preparation, compounding, and dispensing of medications for patients. Adheres to established institutional and departmental policies and procedures. Supervises the activities of pharmacy technicians, pharmacy interns/co-ops, and volunteers in assigned work areas. Optimizes drug therapy for patients through identification and resolution of drug related problems.
- Interprets and evaluates all physician's medication orders for clinical appropriateness, cost effectiveness, and scheduling. Clarifies orders as necessary and rectifies drug related problems with ordering providers.
- Performs accurate and timely computerized order verification of physician orders.
- Accurately compounds, labels, and dispenses medications for both inpatients and outpatients.
- Properly maintains all legally required records, including those related to compounding, controlled substances, and outpatient prescription dispensing.
- Accurately compounds both sterile and non-sterile compounded preparations, utilizes appropriate techniques and completes all required documentation.
- Participates in quality assurance activities, including controlled substance auditing and ADS override reports.
- Accurately handles and oversees distribution of controlled substances, including receipt, ADS refills, returns, weekly and biennial inventories, and quality assurance audits. Strictly adheres to established policies and procedures pertaining to controlled substances.
- Dispenses outpatient pharmacy prescriptions, provides appropriate patient counseling, and participates in the Massachusetts Prescription Awareness Tool.
- Provides direction and guidance to pharmacy technician, student, intern, and volunteer staff in following policy and procedure, taking accountability and ownership of job responsibilities, and promoting professional behavior and attitudes.
- Directly supervises pharmacy technicians, interns, and volunteers in proper packaging, labeling and distribution of sterile and non-sterile medications.
- Controls the disposition of all medication including controlled substance, investigational, and hazardous medications as required by state and federal regulations and departmental policies and procedures.
- Assists in training and orientation of new employees and students.
- Provides support for research studies, including dispensing investigational drug product to study coordinators. Maintains knowledge of commonly encountered investigational protocols.
- Oversees institution-wide drug distribution.
- Responds to and participates in both adult and pediatric STAT call and Code Blue situations.
- Provides assistance to technical staff when necessary.
- Effectively troubleshoots system problems (including systems downtime) and implements short-term solutions as required based on professional judgment.
- Adheres to all safety procedures established by the hospital and the department.
- Adheres to all departmental and institutional policies and procedures
- Provides outstanding customer service to patients and employees.
- Performs all other responsibilities as assigned in a complete and timely fashion.
Massachusetts Eye and Ear is an international center for treatment and home to the world's largest vision and hearing research centers. Mass Eye and Ear is a member of Mass General Brigham and a teaching hospital of Harvard Medical School.
Under the direction of Noah Siegel, MD and , the specialists at Mass Eye and Ear, Longwood provide routine and sub-specialty eye, ear, nose, throat, head and neck care in a state-of-the-art facility. Located close to the hospitals in the Longwood Medical Area, Mass Eye and Ear, Longwood offers easy access for appointments. The site has a state-of the-art surgical center, staffed by teams of Mass Eye and Ear surgeons, anesthesiologists and nurses. Please see below for more information about our cafe services, optical shop and parking.