Full-time; Senior Research Technologist ;Faden Laboratory
The Faden lab is looking for a Research Technician and Lab Manager to join our multidisciplinary team working at the forefront of Head and Neck Cancer research.
This position in the Faden Lab, Department of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery at Mass Eye and Ear, entails working alongside the laboratory PI, Staff Scientist, clinical research coordinators, medical students and fellows to conduct translational head and neck cancer research with a focus on liquid biopsy. The overarching goal of our research is to translate findings from the laboratory to clinical advancements that address the most pressing problems faced by head and neck cancer patients
Ongoing Work in the Lab
* Liquid biopsy: Liquid biopsy allows non-invasive detection and monitoring of cancer. We are designing and utilizing assays to measure analytes from head and neck cancer in the pre-diagnostic, treatment and post-treatment settings. Current work focuses on cell free DNA.
* Mutational Processes: A subset of Head and Neck Cancers are caused by Human Papillomavirus (HPV). We are using genomic and computational techniques to dissect how HPV leads to mutation acquisition in Head and Neck Cancer by studying patterns of mutations in both head and neck cancer
genomes and HPV genomes using computational approaches followed by functional interrogation in cell lines to better understand the processes that lead to mutations.
* Viral Oncogenesis: HPV is known to cause certain types of head and neck cancer, however its role in other cancer types is less well understood. We are conducting studies to demonstrate that HPV is a driver of tumorigenesis in previously unrecognized tumor types.
* Prepares and executes routine and complex experiments independently
* Assists the PI with determining the most suitable methodology for experiments
* Prepares lab reagents and chemicals
* Sets up, adjusts, calibrates, maintains and troubleshoots equipment
* Performs independent literature searches, is familiar with the state of the science
* Organize and draft materials for manuscripts and presentations
* Maintains and orders lab supplies
* Helps onboard new lab members
* Organizes weekly lab meeting
As a not-for-profit organization, Mass General Brigham is committed to supporting patient care, research, teaching, and service to the community by leading innovation across our system. Founded by Brigham and Women's Hospital and Massachusetts General Hospital, Mass General Brigham supports a complete continuum of care including community and specialty hospitals, a managed care organization, a physician network, community health centers, home care and other health-related entities. Several of our hospitals are teaching affiliates of Harvard Medical School, and our system is a national leader in biomedical research.
We're focused on a people-first culture for our system's patients and our professional family. That's why we provide our employees with more ways to achieve their potential. Mass General Brigham is committed to aligning our employees' personal aspirations with projects that match their capabilities and creating a culture that empowers our managers to become trusted mentors. We support each member of our team to own their personal development-and we recognize success at every step.
Our employees use the Mass General Brigham values to govern decisions, actions and behaviors. These values guide how we get our work done: Patients, Affordability, Accountability & Service Commitment, Decisiveness, Innovation & Thoughtful Risk; and how we treat each other: Diversity & Inclusion, Integrity & Respect, Learning, Continuous Improvement & Personal Growth, Teamwork & Collaboration.
Required Skills and Experience
* Completion of bachelor's degree with or without a PhD or master's degree.
* A minimum of 5 years lab experience in cancer cell biology or cancer genomics
* Proficient in routine and complex laboratory techniques
* Ability to work independently and as a team member
* Proficiency in basic statistics, data analysis and visualization/graphing
* Organized and meticulous
* Ability to troubleshoot
* Motivated to advance the science of head and neck cancer for the benefit of patients.
Mass General Brigham is an Equal Opportunity Employer & by embracing diverse skills, perspectives and ideas, we choose to lead. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religious creed, national origin, sex, age, gender identity, disability, sexual orientation, military service, genetic information, and/or other status protected under law.