At HDR, we specialize in engineering, architecture, environmental and construction services. While we are most well-known for adding beauty and structure to communities through high-performance buildings and smart infrastructure, we provide much more than that. We create an unshakable foundation for progress because our multidisciplinary teams also include scientists, economists, builders, analysts and artists. That's why we believe diversity is our greatest strength. HDR is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and an affirmative action employer.
Watch our video
We believe that the way we work can add meaning and value to the world. That ideas inspire positive change. That coloring outside the lines can illuminate fresh perspectives. And that small details yield important realizations. Above all, we believe that collaboration is the best way forward.
HDR is looking for a Control Systems Engineer to join our Charlotte, NC team and support our national Control Systems practice which includes full-service capabilities and supports clients in multiple industries and market sectors providing control system assessment, planning, design, automation programming/configuration, testing & commissioning, and maintenance.
The primary role of this position is to support the planning, design, and implementation of automated process control and Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition (SCADA) systems in coordination with clients and multidiscipline teams to develop solutions for construction and implementation in multiple market sectors including tech, media & telecom; oil & gas; food & beverage, logistics, manufacturing; mining; industrial; transportation; and water/wastewater.
In this role, the Control Systems Engineer will serve as Engineer of Record or will work under the direction of a Senior Control Systems Engineer to design complex building/process control and SCADA systems, assisting with the evaluation and selection of equipment and system components. They will be responsible for creating biddable and technically accurate construction documents including drawings and specifications. They must be self-motivated with an initiative to deliver high quality, technically excellent SCADA/I&C designs.
* Travel to client facilities to participate in field activities to assess and document the current state of installed control systems
* Participate in and lead design review and planning meetings with the client
* Lead or participate in the development of preliminary engineering reports and Studies focused on recommending and developing solutions for control system improvements
* Serve as Engineer of Record in responsible charge for the development of biddable and technically accurate SCADA/I&C construction documents
* Interface with Electrical and Process Engineers to fully coordinate design requirements for network, power, control, and instrumentation
* Assist with the selection and specification of process instrumentation, control panels, and network equipment
* Assist with the development of biddable and technically accurate SCADA / I&C construction documents including P&IDs, network architecture diagrams, control panel layouts and wiring diagrams, installation details, loop drawings, and technical specifications
* Assist with system testing and commissioning activities
Bachelors or Masters Degree in Electrical Engineering or Controls related field
Minimum of 5 years of applicable experience
Hands on experience designing I&C systems, including schematics and loops required
Network design experience for Industrial Control or SCADA or OT systems
Must be knowledgeable of remote site telemetry communications
Must be knowledgeable of cybersecurity considerations for Industrial Control or SCADA or OT systems
Must be knowledgeable of network, PLC, DCS, or DDC hardware/software, and SCADA/HMI software used in Building, Industrial, or Water/Wastewater applications
Programmable Logic Controller (PLC) / Distributed Control System (DCS) / Direct Digital Control (DDC) programming or SCADA HMI configuration experience a plus
Experience in building automation, data centers, food & beverage, oil & gas, industrial, mining, manufacturing, or logistics a plus
Local candidates are preferred
At HDR, we know work isn't only about who you work for; it's also about what you do and how you do it. Led by the strength of our values and a culture shaped by employee ownership, we network with each other, build on each other's contributions, and collaborate together to make great things possible. When you join HDR, we give you license to do the same. We help you take charge of your career, giving you multiple growth opportunities along the way.