Kalamazoo - Downtown Portage Street
LAB SCIENCES - MEDICINAL CHEMISTRY INTERNSHIP
Location: Kalamazoo, MI
Timeline:May-Aug 2021: 10-13 week program
Applications: November- February 2021
Interviews: January - March 2021, on a rolling basis
Offers: Late January - March 2021
Internship: 40 hours/week for 10-13 weeks, typically May - August
Internship Summary: This selected candidate will join a team of bench chemists within the Medicinal Chemistry group, that specialize in organic synthesis of novel drug analogues, synthetic problem solving, drug candidate scale-ups and SAR analysis to specifically support medicinal chemistry projects.
At Zoetis, the health and safety of our colleagues, contractors and interns is our top priority. We make decisions based on these guiding principles:Be Safe, Feel Safe, Feel Supported. As a Zoetis intern, you can expect Zoetis to abide by safety guidelines from the CDC, aligned with local guidance.
Internship Job Duties: Of particular interest are candidates with a strong desire to spend most of their time designing, running and analyzing complex organic chemistry experiments at the bench in an organic/ medicinal chemistry environment. The candidate is also expected to interact effectively with other chemist team members, and reach out with project teams within the Medicinal Chemistry department.
- Enrolled in a degree program during the Spring term preceding internship
- Completion of at least one year of undergraduate studies and a 3.0 GPA or higher
- At least 18 years of age and authorized to work in the U.S.
- Successfully pass a background check and drug screen
- Strong communication, interpersonal, organizational, problem solving & analytical skills
- Scientific academic training, and some understanding of modern organic chemistry (college level organic chemistry class/lab)
- A desire to spend most of the time at the bench running synthetic experiments is essential.
- Excellent verbal/written communication and solid interpersonal skills are essential for the position.
Zoetis is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status.
- Solid Organic Chemistry academic training, and a good understanding of modern organic chemistry reactions.
- Experience in an organic research laboratory (undergraduate or graduate research work)
- Understanding of modern analytical methods such as HPLC/LCMS/NMR
- Creativity, autonomy, can-do attitude, and problem solving abilities.
- Good command of verbal/written scientific communication.
Zoetis is committed to equal opportunity in the terms and conditions of employment for all employees and job applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, gender identity or gender expression, national origin, disability or veteran status or any other protected classification. Disabled individuals are given an equal opportunity to use our online application system. We offer reasonable accommodations as an alternative if requested by an individual with a disability. Please contact Zoetis Colleague Services at email@example.com to request an accommodation. Zoetis also complies with all applicable national, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment as well as employment eligibility verification requirements of the Immigration and Nationality Act. All applicants must possess or obtain authorization to work in the US for Zoetis. Zoetis retains sole and exclusive discretion to pursue sponsorship for the acquisition or maintenance of nonimmigrant status and employment eligibility, considering factors such as availability of qualified US workers. Individuals requiring sponsorship must disclose this fact. Please note that Zoetis seeks information related to job applications from candidates for jobs in the U.S. solely via the following: (1) our company website at www.Zoetis.com/careers site, or (2) via email to/from addresses using only the Zoetis domain of “@zoetis.com”. In addition, Zoetis does not use Google Hangout for any recruitment related activities. Any solicitation or request for information related to job applications with Zoetis via any other means and/or utilizing email addresses with any other domain should be disregarded. In addition, Zoetis will never ask candidates to make any type of personal financial investment related to gaining employment with Zoetis.