Join the HJF Team!
HJF is seeking a Laboratory Technician II (COVID – 19) to support the Infectious Disease Clinical Research Program (IDCRP) located at Walter Reed National Military Medical Center (WRNMMC) in Bethesda, MD. HJF provides scientific, technical and programmatic support services to IDCRP. U.S. citizenship required. This position will support a surveillance study as well as randomized clinical trials.
The incumbent performs basic to intermediate laboratory procedures. They will assist and support supervisors with testing and experiments in various areas of a laboratory as needed. The incumbent uses some judgement to define and resolve problems and make recommendations.
- Obtains and/or collects research specimens from the hospital and brings them to the study lab. Labels, processes, analyzes, stores, packages, and ships specimens per protocol. Maintains appropriate specimen records per protocol and lab SOPs. (60%)
- Ensures that safety guidelines are always followed. Practices safe work habits, including complying with all safety, health, and environmental rules and regulations. Organizes and stores all chemicals substances, fluids and compressed gases according to safety instructions. (10%)
- Performs quality control and calibrates equipment if necessary. Maintains equipment and a clean and orderly work environment. Assists in ordering laboratory supplies. (10%)
- Performs routine and non-routine tests and analyses using the appropriate technical equipment and instruments. (10%)
- Designs and executes laboratory testing. Records observations in accordance with good practice quality guidelines and regulations (GxP), Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs), and protocol requirements. Complies with laboratory quality assurance and quality control (QA/QC) plans and procedures. (10%)
- May perform other duties and responsibilities as assigned or directed by the supervisor. This may include attendance of and participation in required training for role.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Proven experience as Lab Technician or relevant position. Technical knowledge of scientific disciplines; knowledge of and skill in laboratory technique and handling biological and chemical hazards and their safe use and disposal.
- Experience in operating electrical and nonelectrical laboratory equipment and potentially dangerous substances (flammable liquids, infectious bacteria, biohazards etc.).
- Willingness to assist with infectious disease (COVID-19) laboratory samples, using proper PPE and processing techniques.
- In depth knowledge of cGMP, cGLP, preventative measures and laboratory best practices.
- Trained in phlebotomy or willing to learn.
- Strong clinical research and Department of Defense (DOD) background (preferred).
- Working knowledge of MS Office (especially Excel) and database systems.
- Ability to work autonomously under pressure, strong attention to detail, and excellent organizational skills.
- Ability to write correspondence and reports.
- Ability to perform physically demanding work such as moving and lifting equipment, standing for long periods of time, etc.
Minimum Education: Associates degree required, Bachelor’s degree in Degree in medical laboratory science, biology, chemistry or relevant field preferred.
Minimum Experience/ Training Requirements: 3-5 years of experience required. Clinical research experience strongly preferred in addition to an interest in Phlebotomy.
Work Environment: Located at the WRNMMC Infectious Disease Clinic and Lab.
Background/Security: U.S. citizenship required; eligible to obtain and maintain a Tier III Investigation/ Secret Clearance and Common Access Card (CAC).
Employment with HJF is contingent upon successful completion of a background check, which may include, but is not limited to, contacting your professional references, verification of previous employment, addresses, education, and credentials, a criminal background check, drug screening, and a department of motor vehicle (DMV) check.
Any qualifications to be considered as equivalents, in lieu of stated minimums, require the prior approval of the Chief Human Resources Officer.
3 - 5 years: 3-5 years of experience required. Clinical research experience strongly preferred in addition to an interest in Phlebotomy. (required)