The Alaka`ina Foundation Family of Companies (FOCs) is comprised of industry-recognized government service firms designated as Native Hawaiian Organization (NHO)-owned and 8(a) certified businesses. The Family of Companies (FOCs) includes Ke`aki Technologies, Laulima Government Solutions, and Kupono Government Services. Alaka`ina Foundation activities under the 501(c)3 principally benefit the youth of Hawaii through charitable efforts which includes providing innovative educational programs that combine leadership, science & technology, and environmental stewardship.
Laulima Government Solutions is looking for a qualified Study Support Team Lead to provide Scientific Support at the National Institute of Allergies and Infectious Disease (NIAID) high containment facility.
- Support in the facilitation of research with refined animal models for biodefense agents as well as to test human samples associated with naturally occurring outbreaks in the high containment environment.
- Lead activities in outbreak response field settings.
- Aid in outbreak activities involving research of Ebola survivor surveillance in West Africa.
- Comply with the NIH Division of Occupational Health and Safety requirement for satisfactory completion of the Biosurety program and Select Agent program.
- Play a role in ensuring that the biosurety program promotes a security conscious culture.
- Comply with the physical security, protection of the division's property, protection of information, cyber security, agent protection, control and accountability, safe disposal and waste handling, and personal security guidelines set forth by the division's Biosurety program.
- Implement study/project request process utilizing standardized study proposal templates.
- Efficiently plan, execute, and report scientific activities conducted in accordance with directives from the division.
- Generate master and working stocks of virus and other microbial agents as directed that are well documented and characterized.
- Restrict all scientific activities to study plans approved.
- Provide laboratory support with staff deployed at outbreak sites in West Africa (Liberia, Sierra Leone, and Guinea) and other outbreak sites should they arise in the future as directed.
- Generate study plans using approved templates and SharePoint processes provided prior to initiation of in vitro and in vivo experiments.
- Generate high quality interim and final study reports and develop them for timely publication in peer reviewed journals.
- Maintain the animal research program to include environmental enrichment, housing, management, ancillary support services, and veterinary care.
- Develop and refine master planning process schedule integration including use of the developed Research Operations Management System (ROMS) to efficiently implement multiple simultaneous studies and advise the COR of potential choke points.
- Utilize ROMS for development of workflow and capture of data and provide constructive feedback to the division's Information Management specialists (Office of Cyber Infrastructure and Computational Biology -OCICB) to allow for refinement of the system.
- Actively participate in practices/processes to enhance data quality and integrity including periodic review of study execution to identify gaps and refine procedures.
- Develop and implement training and cross-training programs to assure continuity of operations and scientific core activities.
- Develop and revise Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) and methods for laboratory operations.
- Full 4-year course of study from an accredited college or university leading to a Bachelor of Science or higher degree that includes a minimum of 2 years specialized training and research in a BSL-3 or BSL-4 setting
- Must be able to work in a BSL-4 setting
Required Skills and Experience:
- Must be a US citizen or permanent resident.
- Ability to obtain/maintain DoJ Security Risk Assessment (SRA) approval.
- Must be willing to be immunized with licensed and FDA approved Investigational New Drugs (IND) recommended for persons at risk to occupational exposure of biological agents
- Must be willing to participate in periodic drug screening.
- Must have the ability to obtain/maintain certification in Chemical Personnel Reliability Program and/or Biological Personnel Reliability Program.
- Must have the ability to obtain/maintain CDC Select Agent Program approval.
- Willingness to work under BSL-2, BSL-3, and BSL-4 conditions. Able to wear respiratory protection.
Desired Skills and Experience:
- Familiarity with hospital tools such as endoscopy, cardiac telemetry monitors, and Computed Tomography (CT), Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI), Single Positron Emission Computed Tomography (SPECT), and Positron Emission Tomography (PET) and Ultrasonography imaging to systematically evaluate the pathogenic processes and clinical course of disease in animal models exposed to microbes.
- Experience with viral Select Agents is highly desired
- Good Laboratory Practice experience is preferred.
- Proficiency in Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Basic understanding of laboratory information management systems (LIMS)
- Demonstrate interpersonal, oral and written communication, and organizational skills
- Demonstrate ability to ability to work independently, design experiments, and analyze data
- Individual must be able to meet the requirements for Public Trust Level 5b. For this level, candidates must complete and pass a National Agency Check with Inquiries (NACI) with fingerprinting, and a Minimum Background Investigation (MBI).
Laulima Government Solutions LLC is a fast growing government service provider. Employees enjoy competitive salaries; a 401K plan with company match; medical, dental, disability, and life insurance coverage; tuition reimbursement; paid vacation and sick time; and 10 paid holidays. Laulima Government Solutions is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
For additional information on Laulima Government Solutions, LLC, please visit .
We are an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer of individuals with disabilities and veterans. We are proud to state that we do not discriminate in employment decisions on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status. If you are a person with a disability and you need an accommodation during the application process, please click to request an accommodation. We E-Verify all employees.